Army combat vehicles are exceeding
their design weights due to protection
requirements for the changing and
growing threat environment on the
battlefield. In order to mitigate these
threats and at the same time remain
weight neutral or decrease weight,
novel manufacturing approaches are
required. One significant opportunity
to reduce weight is to lighten applique
armor with a new generation of
technology based on a hybrid solution
of ceramics and composites.
• Through thickness reinforced (TTR) woven composite panels
have been produced for a number of threat levels and
potential vehicle applications.
• TTR panels have been produced for applique applications on combat vehicles. These panels have been mounted on surrogate vehicle structure and tested against objective threats with promising results.
• Improved ballistic performance as manufactured
• Reduced environmental degradation over time
• Lower lifecycle cost
• Lower manufacturing cost
• More automated process for consistent reliability
• Lower weight
• TTR solutions have been tested in accordance with the
requirements for Stryker, JLTV, and CVP.