Develop a semi-automated
manufacturing process resulting
in decreased production costs and
increased production output for
compact, silent, fuel cell hybrid systems
for Unmanned Ground Vehicles (UGV),
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS), and
man-portable power systems.
• Increased reliability and production rates while decreasing
costs for fuel cells used on UGV and man-portable platforms
to extend mission duration
• Enabling future robotics projects that are extending the reach of the Warfighter through robotics
• Capability to have long silent watch operations
• Developed an automated system which will include improved quality control tests to verify both cell and stack consistency.
• Incorporated a flowable or formable insulation to reduce material waste
• Conducted a design of experiments to determine root cause of flaws during tube extrusion. Developed methods to control contamination, material consistency, and components.
• Improved heat exchanger performance and cost reduction
• Established a baseline Process Capability (Cpk) and improve all manufacturing process that are less than 1.33.
• Semi-automation of fuel cell and fuel cell stack
• Increased production capabilities
• Improved quality control
• Heat exchanger performance and cost enhancement
• High temp insulation cost reduction and modification to accommodate domestic
• TALON Robot