Develop an improved manufacturing process for both 2-dimensional weave, and 3- dimensional weave ceramic composite armors, with the goal of reducing production cost and increasing throughput.
• Developed small scale pultrusion process for laminates up
to 2 inches thick
• Currently incorporating ceramic tiles to create an asymmetric cross section.
• Leveraged ARL’s build-to-print equipment to allow for automated tile preparation. Tile prep station currently feeds into pick and place robot.
• Fabricated over-molding station that will prepare tile assemblies for the infeed system
• Developed model to predict resin curing profile inside the pultruder die
• Conducted resin and resin flow analyses that will help generate system parameters, to increase throughput of both pultrusion and VARTM (vacuum assisted resin transfer molding) processes
• Approximately 45% cost reduction for 2D ceramic
• A production ready 3D TTR (through-thickness reinforcement) process resulting in a net shape part, including integration provisions, that is ready to be attached to the platform
• Cost effective, and consistent production process for 3D TTR armor
• Applicable to all systems with B-kit armor packages.
Including Bradley, Stryker, Armored Security Vehicle (ASV).